Don’t risk a shut-down: Tell Rep. Cook to oppose budget “poison pills”!
Now that Congress is back in Washington they have to pass a stopgap funding bill, known as a “CR” (Continuing Resolution), to fund the government past April 28. But with his 100-day report card looming on that same day, Trump is desperate for any legislative win he can get—so much so that his cronies in Congress may be willing to risk a government shutdown by including unpopular policy riders in the funding bill, such as:
- Defunding of ACA cost-sharing subsidies (CSRs) that millions of Americans rely on to keep coverage affordable
- Defunding Planned Parenthood and other family planning initiatives
- Additional funding for Trump’s mass deportation force, including his border wall, detention facilities, and more ICE agents
- Restricting federal funding for cities that take up sanctuary policies
- Defunding the EPA and other climate protection programs
Rep. Paul Cook in the past has supported such “poison pill” policy riders, but has also gone on record opposing government shutdown and co-sponsored a bill that would prohibit members of the House or Senate from receiving a paycheck if their respective chamber fails to pass a budget. Call and tell Congressman Cook not to risk a shutdown and to oppose any of these policy riders in any funding bill.